USA  /  North Carolina  /  Rutherford County Jail has 1,420 interviews from ex-inmates. Share your story
Find Rutherford County Jail inmates...

Jail Layout

Interview with KENNY

JM: How many different blocks were there?
KENNY: Two, look like a high rise maximum security prison. That's what people say who have been to a maximum security prison. One block upstairs and one block downstairs. A block for trustees and a block for females in the old part of the jail.

JM: Did they have names? If so, what were they?
KENNY: I don't know all their names but the one that I do remember is C.R. because of the blood that I saw all over him.

JM: Which types of inmates were housed in the different blocks?
KENNY: The officers said the really bad crimes were on the top block upstairs.

JM: What do you remember being the nicest and worst parts about the different blocks?
KENNY: I spent only like 7 hours on the top block with one other inmate. I was moved to the lower block at 9 at night. So I wasn't let out of the cell to talk with any of the inmates until I was downstairs. On Monday thru Friday 7 a.m. till 10 a.m. half of the inmates get out for 3 hours the other half get out from 7 p.m. till 10 p.m. alternating the sides each week. We were locked down at 10 a.m. Friday morning till 7 p.m. Monday evening 81 hours. The other side was locked down at 7 p.m. Friday till 7 a.m. Monday 72 hours. We changed uniforms once a week. There was no hot water in there from May 13 till my release on May 31. I was not allowed along with the other inmates to take a hot shower from the 13 of May till I got home on the 31 of May. I begged along with others to be moved to a facility with hot water. Released to come back and finish my sentence when the hot water was repaired. To go downstairs where the trustees were held where there was hot water. I even offered to help fix the hot water heater. Denied that by all staff even the Sgt. himself. People took cold showers and got sick. There were skin rashes, staff infection and profuse odor. I myself have a something on my face that the facility nurse gave me antibiotics for. They tried to hold me for an extra day. There are 720 hours in a 30 day sentence. I had to threaten to call the media and tell them that they were holding me against my will and kidnapping me. I was held till 4 p.m. may 31 because the media was outside at the court house covering the dedication to the monument of the fallen comrades. I found this out from one of the officers as to why I would not be released while the media was out there.

Read about telephone access in the Rutherford County Jail

comments powered by Disqus